- Price: $295 USD
- Course Duration: 6 Weeks
- Location: Online
- Content Availability: New content is provided weekly
- Suggested Allocated Time: 2 to 4 hours per week
- Educator Graduate Level Credits Availability: Yes
- Prerequisite: None
In this article, learn more about:
- Professional Credits
- Weekly Time Commitment
- When can I access the course?
- Is the course self-paced? Can I go through it on my own schedule?
- What if I am unable to complete the course within the six weeks?
- Will I receive verification of course completion?
- What will this course cover? What will I learn?
- Course work
- Does this course include Live Sessions?
- Will I receive ongoing access to course materials after the course is over?
- Can I share what I learn?
- Financial Assistance
Can I receive Professional Credits for this course?
Educators may apply for and receive Educator Graduate Level Credits after completing their course. Educator GLCs are offered through our partner organization, Courses 4 Teachers, an affiliate of University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA. For more information, please see our article on professional credits.
For participants of our courses who cannot benefit from Educator GLCs, we recommend discussing our courses with your governing board to see if you can receive professional development credit for completing our trainings.
Often graduates will submit their Certificate of Completion to their governing board. Participants who complete any Mindful Schools course before the official end date will be eligible for a Certificate of Completion. The Certificate of Completion is generated during the Closing Activities of the course and will reflect the session of the course, the name of the Online Course Guide, and the number of hours allotted to the course.
How much time will I need to devote to the course each week?
For most participants, our Mindful Communication course takes between 2 to 4 hours per week.
When can I access the course material?
When the course begins, you can login and access the course any time, according to your own schedule. We release new content each week. This means that you won't be able to access week two of your course unless you've completed week one AND one week has passed since the course began.
Is the course self-paced? Can I go through it on my own schedule?
Unlike some online courses, Mindful Schools courses are designed with a set start date and a set end date. This allows us to more fully support your practice and your learning as you progress through the course with others, and with support from your Online Course Guide.
You are not required to be online at any specific time, and can work through the weekly course content at your own pace. That said, we highly recommend you keep up with the course from one week to the next to ensure you can interact with classmates and your Online Course Guide while learning new material.
Please note, in order to be eligible for a Certificate of Completion, participants must complete the course before the set end date.
Extensions are not available for Mindful Communication.
What if I am unable to complete the course within the six weeks?
While we highly recommend participants keep up with the course from week to week, we understand that interruptions can occur. To assist with these interruptions, we do provide a two-week Grace Period after the six weeks of course content. During this Grace Period, the course will remain open and participants are able to complete the course material.
However, the Online Course Guide will not be available to answer questions during the Grace Period. To ensure you will be able to take advantage of the Online Course Guide's support, it is important to remain current during the six weeks of course content.
Will I receive verification of course completion?
Participants of Mindful Communication who complete the course material before the official end date will be eligible for a Certificate of Completion. The Certificate of Completion is generated during the Closing Activities of the course and will reflect the session of the course, the name of the Online Course Guide, and the number of hours allotted to the course.
What does this course cover? What will I learn?
Mindful Communication offers an opportunity to deepen your mindfulness practice by exploring the realm of interpersonal communication in all aspects of your life: personal, social, and professional. During the six weeks of content, this course is specifically designed to help you:
- Reduce the stress associated with interpersonal differences and conflict
- Find creative and effective tools to handle student behavior issues
- Learn ways to build stronger relationships with students, parents, faculty, and administrators
- Develop skills to create more trust, cooperation, and collaboration
- Hear the genuine concerns and real needs of others regardless of how they’re speaking to you
What does the coursework entail?
Our courses include a combination of video lectures, reading, and weekly assignments. The assignments include the following components:
- Reading: Weekly lessons and insights from your Online Course Guide
- Listening: One guided practice per week, ranging between 20 to 25 minutes
- Lectures: Two to four video lectures per week, 30-45 minutes in total
- Writing: Roughly one to two short paragraphs per week
- 20 minutes of daily seated mindfulness practice highly recommended.
- 20-30 minutes of practicing the skills learned in the course with a communication buddy. Participants will have an opportunity to connect with another participant in the course to find a buddy.
Does this course include Live Sessions?
Mindful Communication includes two Live Sessions that take place in Week 2 and Week 4 of the course. Live Sessions are guided by an Online Course Guide and typically include a guided practice, a review of course concepts, and an opportunity to connect with other course participants. We strongly encourage you to attend the Live Sessions -- we often receive feedback from participants that the Live Sessions were a highlight of their course experience.
You can find the dates of the LIVE Sessions for your course session here. (These dates are subject to change if necessary. Please confirm dates when you enter your course.)
Will I receive ongoing access to the course materials?
Participants who complete Mindful Communication before the set end date will receive ongoing access to a view-only version of the course materials after the course ends.
Does this course qualify me to share or teach what I learn?
Mindful Communication is a personal practice course designed to deepen your mindfulness practice by exploring the realm of interpersonal communication in all aspects of your life. This course is not designed to train or empower participants to teach or share the lessons and techniques with others.
Is financial assistance or scholarships available for this course?
No. At this time we are not able to offer financial assistance or scholarships for the Mindful Communication course.
Click here to register for Mindful Communication