What are the prerequisites for taking DE (Difficult Emotions)?
Our Difficult Emotions course is not a beginning mindfulness course. We ask that participants commit to an on-going, daily mindfulness practice and complete one of the following trainings:
- Mindfulness Fundamentals (preferred)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (in person or online)
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (in person or online)
- Another (6-week or longer) online or in-person secular mindfulness course from an acknowledged provider (e.g. UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness, etc.)
Exceptions to this are made for long-time meditation practitioners who have sat at least one, 3-day silent retreat in the last four years.
I've done TM, Yoga teacher training, or ... Does that meet the prerequisites?
Unfortunately, the following trainings, modalities and activities do not meet the prerequisite:
- Yoga, Reiki, Transcendental Meditation
- Any other meditation practice solely focused on mantra recitation
- Reading mindfulness books
Even if you have a long practice history, Mindfulness Fundamentals or another secular mindfulness course is highly recommended as part of your overall training program. It will ensure that you are “synced up” with the terms, language and methods used in our trainings and in other secular mindfulness trainings.
Click here to Register for Difficult Emotions